When people ask me (and they do), “What should I do with my new scamorza?” this is how I answer.
- You should slice it into quarter inch medallions and fry it on medium heat in either olive oil or butter. Both sides should caramelize nicely, and you can just eat it plain, or with salad greens, or with a little pesto drizzled on it.
- You should make pizza with it. Shred it thick, rind and all, and put it on top of some bread dough and tomato sauce. Do not adorn this pizza with anything else, the cheese has a nice flavor all by itself, and doesn’t like fraternizing with other toppings (except tomato sauce of course).
- You should smoke it. No, not like a cigarette, like salmon. Put it in a smoker, and give it a smoke flavor, which goes well with the cheese. This is called “scamorza affumatica”.
- You should make “cheese bacon” (e.g. something resembling Saganaki). Slice some and put it in a cast iron frying pan on super low heat, cooking it in its own fats. Flip it when it seems to be holding together, and brown it on the other side. If you want to be crazy, flambe it!
- Use it like cheese. Make a grilled cheese, or macaroni and cheese, or put it on a cheese plate for use with crackers. It’s a very nice all-purpose cheese.
Hope you like scamorza as much as I do!